When considering wellness, we must take into account the entire scope and range of our lives. Whether it be physically, mentally, spiritually, personally, environmentally, planetary, and also universally.
A quality wellness lifestyle involves all aspects of your life beyond your physical health. To enjoy fulfilled and happy lives, it is important to take care of your well-being and to invest time in your wellness. Wellness encompasses the whole human being, their mind, body, and soul, and all the things that make a person whole. A healthy life is the result of wellness across all aspects of life, whether emotional, physical, spiritual, or other.
We must look at our life from birth up until the present moment, the people around us, and the state of the world at the present time. This is the largest scale of wellness that we can possibly consider. Holistic wellness takes into account all of these things. A holistic wellness lifestyle encourages and supports the development of wellness within and throughout all the areas of our life. It would be a mistake for us to think that wellness only meant our physical health or even our mental health alone. When we can see the interconnectedness of our own personal state of wellness to the state of wellness of the entire human race, for example, we can gain deeper insight into the causes of ‘un-wellness’ that we all face as a single consciousness.
By approaching wellness from this perspective, we are better able to encourage it in our everyday life. Here are the 8 dimensions of holistic wellness and some key characteristics of them:
1 Physical wellness
What is it? Body wellness refers to the wellness of the physical human body. When you generally feel good and healthy and without aches and pains, your body could be said to be in a state of wellness. However, true wellness is bigger than that. It is not merely about preventing disease, but more about how well you feel in your everyday life, and your performance on a day-to-day basis.
- Know the importance of physical activity
- Respect and take care of your body
- Listen to the body and learn to identify its needs
2 Mental wellness
Having the strength of mind to encourage and support wellness is another very important aspect of understanding and mastering wellness. If our body is well, but our mind is not, eventually when our bodies will fall victim to ‘un-wellness’ again, and our minds will do nothing to bring us back to the point of being well. However, mental wellness doesn’t just mean understanding how to make the body well. It also means developing a way of thinking that allows us to feel well mentally.
- Discover challenges, rise above barriers and utilize strategies
- Have a strong curiosity and a desire to learn
- Maintain a healthy level of mental fitness and practice preventive measures against depression, anxiety, and other mental health disorders
3 Emotional wellness
Emotional wellness is very closely linked to mental wellness. This is because we experience emotions after thoughts occur in the brain. Our emotions are the end result of a particular train of thought. Though some people experience great emotions in a fraction of a second wherein they might think that they didn’t even have time to think, in actual fact, the emotional response has occurred due to massive amounts of focus on that particular topic or subject in the past. By mastering emotional wellness, we allow ourselves to feel greater balance in our bodies and our minds.
- The ability to identify and express emotions and feelings
- Having a profound sense of self-awareness and self-acceptance
- Understanding how your thoughts, behavior, and feelings affect yourself and others around you
4 Spiritual wellness
Spiritual wellness occurs when our actions, thoughts, and emotions are in a state of balance. When we can cultivate a mindset and way of life that promotes peace, harmony, and balanced development in all areas, our spirit resonates with a state of contentment, and we experience this as spiritual wellness. The most important thing to recognize when considering the wellness of our spirit is whether or not we are experiencing great amounts of negativity in our life.
- Seeking meaning, value, and purpose in your life
- Encouraging personal faith while incorporating a set of personal values and beliefs that define who you are and your place in your community
- Practicing introspection and self-awareness
5 Social wellness
The social dimension of wellness plays a critical role in achieving the highest level of wellbeing possible. Social wellness refers to human connections that facilitate a sense of belonging with other humans. Relationships play a key role in how we feel and how we perceive our existence.
- Developing a sense of connection, belonging, and support
- Basing relationships on commitment, trust, honesty, and respect
- Contributing to the well-being of the community that facilitates a sense of personal growth and value
6 Environmental wellness
Environmental wellness inspires us to live a lifestyle that is respectful of our surroundings. This realm encourages us to live in harmony with the Earth by taking action to protect it. Environmental well-being promotes interaction with nature and your personal environment. Everyone can have a strong environmental consciousness simply by raising their awareness.
- Have respect for nature’s creations and the beauty and balance of nature
- Maintain a way of life that benefits from this balance and diminishes harm to the environment
- Protect yourself from environmental hazards
7 Financial wellness
Financial worries are one of the greatest contributors to stress on a societal level. To achieve a state of holistic wellness, this dimension is of utmost importance because it has a profound effect on your mind, physical health, spirit, and subsequently your quality of life. Learning how to successfully manage financial expenses, and avoid financial stress, which is a common source of anxiety, fear and stress are both key aspects to consider on your road to wellness.
- Learn to successfully manage financial expenses
- Making any necessary changes whenever possible to improve financial situations
- Accepting your financial limitations and living within your means
8 Occupational wellness
Occupational wellness refers to creating a healthy balance between work and leisure time. It also entails managing workplace stress and forming healthy relationships with co-workers. Another important aspect of occupational wellness involves identifying your true calling and exploring various career options to find the right fit.
- Reaching a harmonious fit between who you are and what you’re called to do
- Ensuring a healthy work environment that is in line with your values
- Taking steps to make changes or improvements in career choices as needed
Focusing on all 8 dimensions of wellness will help you improve the quality of your life, your health, and potentially extend your lifespan. All dimensions of wellness need our attention for us to truly flourish. By investigating all the areas of wellness and ensuring that everything receives a fair amount of attention, we improve our quality of life and our capacity for developing the things that need to be improved or enhanced. By ensuring that all of these areas are conducive towards either the maintenance or the development of wellness, then you are fully working towards having the highest quality of life .that you possibly can